fear
youth

A Wish Granted

by Natasha Warren
California, United States
genre: Horror

A Wish Granted

“Somebody please, help me, I need HELP.” 

I’m screaming but nobody hears me. I’m in my own body yet I’m not. All I see is darkness. My body is moving but I have no control over the movements it makes. 

“EVILYN” 

“EVILYN”

I hear my name being shouted, but the more I hear it, the more it echoes, I start not to hear my name at all, but rather a much darker word. Evil. 

Is that what has come over me? Is that what this weird feeling is that has overtaken me? Evil? 

The last thing I remember is laying in bed last night thinking how I wish life could be over for me. I guess my wish came true. 

I hear the word evil being whispered over and over as I feel myself slowly drifting away forever. 

Suddenly, I hear a scream that draws me back. I begin to see flashes of what’s going on outside of my body. There’s red… A lot of red. Why am I covered in red?! It’s blood. So. Much. Blood. I look down and I’m covered in it. Why? What have I done?

It feels like there is a strobe light flashing in my head. Darkness, then sudden flashes of where I am, covered in things I don't want to think about. What is happening to me? 

All of a sudden, I’m once again trapped in darkness. There’s a whispering in my head, an answer to the questions I’m asking.

“Don’t you remember?” it says. “You summoned me to yourself. You gave up on your own life, giving me a clear pathway to take your body for my own.”

I shiver as I realize what I’ve doomed myself to. I start to lose consciousness in whatever realm I’m stuck in. The last thing I hear terrifies me and confirms my thought that I will never escape this reality.

“Don’t try to save yourself,” it says, “you wanted to give up your life, I simply granted that wish of yours.” 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

My dreams are terrifying. They are filled with images this thing of evil is flooding into my brain. Death and destruction in every direction. I stand at the center of it all. It’s like I’m trapped in my own hell, having no power other than to stand and watch the desolation. 

Out of nowhere, things start flying towards me, ripping pieces off and trying to tear me apart. What are these things? Why are they attacking me?! 

The pain is too much, I can’t handle it. I can’t take it anymore.

“AHHHHHHH!” I jolt awake to a bloodcurdling scream. I’m shocked to realize the scream came from my own body, it makes me think I’ve somehow escaped whatever reality I was trapped in. I quickly realize I’m wrong and still trapped in that dark reality of my brain. I feel some sort of tugging, giving me almost a feeling of relief. It’s as though whatever those horrible things I saw were triggering my mind to fight back against the evil that’s taken over. The tugging stops, and I now feel more trapped than I’ve ever been. 

The voice of evil starts whispering to me again, “That was a poor choice. I warned you there was no escaping this fate of yours, you are simply making your problems and fate far worse for yourself." 

I start panicking. Up until now I still had hope for escaping and becoming myself again, but now it's clear that I will never escape. 

The ironic thing about this situation is that knowing I’ll never escape makes me want to try harder to be free. Now that I’ve had my life and body taken from me, I want more than ever to get it back and try harder to be the best person I can be.  

This predicament is causing an internal struggle with me. I know I will probably never escape the evil that has taken over me, but there is still a part of me that wants to try to escape. I don’t want to be the person I was before I was taken over. It’s sad for me to think about how where I am now is all my fault. I didn’t do anything to make life better in my dark times, I wallowed around wanting everything to be over with. 

I want to escape. I want to live my life. To be a better person than I was before. 

I chant these things to myself, hoping that just believing them will somehow show forces greater than myself that I am deserving of a better life, to be rid of this evil. 

I feel my body shudder and hear laughing around me. I recognize it as the laugh of the evil controlling me. Why is it laughing? There must be something going on that I can’t see.

“Oh no, you poor human,” it laughs. “All this laughter is from you and your silly little thoughts. You think just because you’ve realized life is worthwhile that I’ll suddenly let you go or someone will save you? You silly, silly girl. Do you really want to be free from me? I’m not sure you’d be better off if you were in control. But I guess if you want to be in control again…”

Without warning, I’m put back in control of myself. I feel a sense of total freedom. Whatever evil there was seems to be completely gone. It doesn’t make sense why I was suddenly freed, but I’m not going to take it for granted. The first thing I do is look out the window in my room to see a beautiful spring day. I feel blessed, as if some higher power had a play in my newfound freedom. I’ve been given another chance to live my life and I couldn’t be more grateful for it. 

Walking outside, the spring air is refreshing in ways I never realized it could be. The beautiful trees and flowers flowing from the breeze. I’m seeing everything like it’s the first time. There’s so much beauty I never paid attention to before. I will never forget to look around every day for something good. 

I go back inside, but for some reason I start to feel sick, horribly sick. I run to the bathroom and start throwing up. There’s blood everywhere. I couldn’t have eaten anything for days. Where is this all coming from? I get a sickly familiar feeling looking down at myself covered in my bloody vomit. It reminds me of visions I saw while trapped by the evil. 

The sick feeling gets worse. I feel pain everywhere, an all-encompassing pain. I scream out hoping there is some chance I’ll be heard by a neighbor or someone outside. A long time passes and nobody comes. I’ve never felt pain and suffering worse than this. With a final scream, I black out. 

“AHAAHAHAHA, you actually thought I would allow you to be free? Mortals like you never cease to amaze me with your naivety.”

I scream with all my might, kicking and punching the barriers that have me trapped in my mind, but it’s no use. Whatever barriers I’m trapped in are even tighter than before. This time I know I’m never going to be let go of. I’m forever doomed to suffer in this reality with evil ruling over me for all of time. 

This time, there is no hope.

get on the list!

and we'll let you know when the winners and our next contest is announced!

User Notifications